麻豆社国产

Skip to content

Burning Man cancels 2021 festival in northern Nevada desert

RENO, Nev. 鈥 Burning Man organizers announced Tuesday they are cancelling this summer鈥檚 annual counter-culture festival in the Nevada desert for the second year in a row because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
nvlas201-93_2016_070000

RENO, Nev. 鈥 Burning Man organizers announced Tuesday they are cancelling this summer鈥檚 annual counter-culture festival in the Nevada desert for the second year in a row because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The San Francisco-based group posted a video on its website that said there are too many uncertainties to resolve in time to hold the event as scheduled Aug. 26 to Sept. 3 in the Black Rock Desert 100 miles (160 kilometres) north of Reno.

Burning Man CEO Marian Goodell said the 鈥渄ifficult decision" is "based on the best information available to us.鈥

鈥淲e know the need for community has never been stronger. And building community is what Burners do best. We also recognize the pandemic is not over,鈥 she said. 鈥淲e have decided to focus our energy on building Black Rock City 2022."

The Reno Gazette Journal first reported the news Tuesday on its website.

The decision was based on a combination of factors, not a single issue, the group said.

鈥淎lthough here in the United States we may be feeling the weight lifting and the light at the end of the tunnel brightening, we are still in the pandemic, and the uncertainties that need to be resolved are impossible to resolve in the time we have," the statement said.

Goodell said earlier this month they were considering requiring attendees to prove they have been vaccinated for COVID-19 if they went forward with plans to hold the event. The organizers backed off an earlier statement indicating that they had already decided to make the shots mandatory.

The 35-year-old festival that draws as many as 80,000 people to the desert had planned on capping attendance at about 69,000 this year.

Goodell said they still intend to host local events around the world in conjunction with the week that typically leads up to Labor Day and culminates with the burning of a large wooden effigy.

鈥淲e鈥檙e not cancelling Burning Man. We鈥檙e just not doing Black Rock City,鈥 she said Tuesday. 鈥淲e are going to celebrate `Burn Week鈥 on line and off line.鈥

Scott Sonner, The Associated Press

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks